Monday 23 July 2012

The Cabin

We just got home from a beautiful week at my grandparents "cabin" in Minnesota.  

So.
glorious.

This spot is one of my most favorites on earth.  Growing up, we travled up to the lake every summer to see family and just enjoy.  Time at the cabin is mostly spent in either pajamas or a swim suit.  You take off your shoes when you arrive and go for days without seeing them again.  Mornings are spent drinking coffee and talking over the paper, afternoons spent playing in the lake and boating and evenings spent playing cards and reading.  The days are broken up by my grandma's fabulous cooking and millons of photos being taken by my grandpa.  I have so many great memories from being up at the cabin as a kid and now it is so fun to be going back with my family.  Our years spent in Ecuador were the only summers that I haven't made a trip to Ottertail.  It was a sweet reunion this summer.  This small spot on our big Earth means so much to me.


Originally, the home belonged to my great grandpa Harold and in those days it did resemble more of a cabin.  A few years back however, my grandparents completely remodeled the property and now it is a beautiful home on the lake and makes it possible for them to spend months out of the year enjoying Ottertail.  Although it has changed somewhat, the spirit of what it has meant for our family to "go to the lake" very much has remained the same.

So here are a few favorite photos capturing our week.  



Elsa has kinda curly hair these days!  I love it!

Also enjoyed a visit from my cousin and her family.  Of course I didn't get a picture of us together, but here are our handsome men with their daughters.


New addition to lake fun - kayaks!  LOVE IT!



Epic games of croquet - just one of the many lake traditions



Breck constantly stands with his hands on his hips these days :)

Celebrating Amy's 25th birthday!

Boating!

Amy brought back henna from India.  

First time on a boat.  Don't worry, she's a natural.


Breck getting pirate themed henna tattoos. 

Trip into the town of Ottertail.  



Ice cream stop!







Happened to be in town for the East Ottertail County fair.  I kept wondering if everyone there had us totally pegged as city folk.  








Tootsie roll pops - another fabulous tradition.




Breck has become quite the swimmer this summer.  He is now moving into working some synchronized swimming routines into his rotation.








Thanks for a great week Grandpa Bob and Grandma Bug!  We love you!



No comments:

Post a Comment