Thursday 19 January 2012

First Report

I have completed my first week of graduate school.  It is always a little strange walking back into a classroom at a new school, especially coming in at the middle of the year.  One might have flashbacks to grade school and the stresses of making new friends and trying not to upset the teacher, and feeling lost in a place that will be your home for the next few years.  I have had some experience in going to new schools, and going to new schools in the middle of the year.

 In middle school I arrived at Northville Christian Academy after Easter break.  Coming into a new school in 7th grade always sounds worse than it is.  I was welcomed very graciously at NCA and it really was not a traumatic experience at all...though I do milk it for all its worth with my Mom.  The same can be said about North Park.  I am not sure how other seminaries are, but here the professors are very friendly and the classmates are NOT bullying each other intellectually for position in the classroom, or any of the other frightening Divinity school horror stories people deem appropriate to tell me before I  started.

There were plenty of familiar faces.  I am also proud to report that the January orientation was the first January orientation that received 100% attendance of the new students.  Usually not everyone makes it to the one day orientation for the spring term starters.  That being said I know the 6 other students who are beginning this term and it is always reassuring to know someone is in the same boat as yourself.   It is strange for me to have a different life experience than many of my classmates and having sometimes more to relate to with my older classmates than the younger as far as having a family goes.  I suppose that is called growing up.

Finally I have decided this New Year to embrace my inner-nerd.  Now this might ruin my chances of getting a reality TV show wrangling squirrels in Chicago or driving a truck through the crowded dangerous roads to be put on the History Channel.    It seems being a book worm does not make great TV anymore, even for the History Channel.  I think embracing the nerd inside will help in accepting all the reading and writing I am to do..  I am very excited about many of the books and lectures this term.  It is also very helpful to have Breck join me in studies (see picture in earlier post.)  It is a bit of work to adjust to life here in Chicago and to figure out school as a family, but so far we are enjoying it and hope that it will be a great time for us.  My current mission is to get Jenny to start school too, but it isn't taking.

No comments:

Post a Comment