Thursday 5 April 2012

Seminarian Appreciation Day

A little while ago as I was leaving out the front door, Breck came to give me a hug.  As we were hugging he said, "Thanks Dad for working hard for us."

Now this has of course made me tear up. Trying not to be sappy, I complained about allergies or how a piece of fuzz must have flown into my eye or something.  Well, I thanked him for his appreciation and being a wonderful son and all that other love stuff.  His words have not left me though and it has made me ponder.  There are two truths that came out of that statement.

One is, I never thanked my parents enough for the work that they have done, and continue to do, to support  me.  Thanks Mom and Dad.  As a kid one does not understand economics and work or grad school.  I do not think I understand as an adult economics and grad school, but that is for another blog.  But just the recognition by Breck that what I was doing is not just for me, but for them.

This leads to the second point.  Seminary involves the whole family.  Ministry and work, any vocation, involves the whole family.  We each retain our particularities and individual personalities, gifts, hopes and dreams.  The Hoskins family is not some unidentifiable blob all mashed together.  My studies and my work, however, are interconnected with Jenny, Breck, and Elsa.  Jenny's work allows me to study full time, along with support from many others.  So I am studying and working hard for us.  But they are working hard for me as well.  And I appreciate that.  This is not my thing.  First it is God's and the Church (you knew that was coming...I am in seminary.)  Second, it is a family affair and I am blessed enough to have a family that is so patient and understanding.  A call to any vocation is a call on the entire family.  They all have had to make sacrifices.  Jenny has to constantly hear about all the lectures and books that make me excited.  That's a sacrifice.  Breck and Elsa have only 2 hours some nights to tackle and punch me.  So we have all been asked to be a part of this time of study and it has been great.

THANKS MOM AND DAD.  THANKS JENNY, BRECK, & ELSA.  AND THANKS EVERYONE WHO HAS SUPPORTED US ALONG OUR JOURNEY...that kind of felt like an acceptance speech, I have been assured there are no trophies at graduation.

1 comment:

  1. this is awesome, chris. thanks for sharing. if you come to orlando in june, we'll give you trophies made of chicken wings :) bless you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete